Eyebrow lift, or forehead lift, is a cosmetic procedure for the eyebrows. This procedure improves the overall shape of the forehead, eyebrows, and the area around the eyes by lifting the soft tissues in the skin of the forehead and eyebrows.
During wound healing, the patient may experience numbness or itching, but this feeling decreases with time. If the wound is covered with a bandage, the doctor will remove it after one to three days, and the stitches are removed from one week to ten days after the operation. The scar remains for several weeks after the operation, but it gradually disappears. The patient should inquire from his doctor about the time in which he can return to his work and daily activities.
An eyebrow lift is performed in a hospital or outpatient surgical clinic. During an eyebrow lift procedure, you will usually feel comfortable with the help of general anesthesia, making you unconscious. It is very normal to have swelling for a couple of days and then it goes away with no scarring.
By lifting the soft tissue and skin of the forehead and eyebrow, an eyebrow lift may give your face a more youthful appearance. Always remember that the results of an eyebrow lift procedure are not permanent. The facial skin may begin to droop again with age. Sun damage can also lead to aging of the skin.
How to reduce swelling after eyebrow lift?
Eyebrow lift surgery is considered a safe procedure, swelling and recovery time vary from one patient to another. However, most patients will benefit from these tips to reduce the swelling after an eyebrow lift:
- Wear bandages the first 24 hours after surgery.
- It is ok to use an ice pack or cold compress to help reduce bruising and swelling.
- Keep your head elevated at all times for the first 48 hours minimum. You can use pillows to adjust your sleeping in the night.
- You must not shower for the first 24 hours. However, you can use gentle baby shampoo to shower after the first day but avoid heat temperature when drying your hair.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, or taking aspirin and anti-inflammatories for the first two days after surgery.
- Do not lift heavy weights or have sex for the first few weeks. Rest as much as possible, but take gentle walks in order to aid circulation.
- You should not smoke for at least six weeks before and after surgery, this is very important since smoking could slow down the healing process.
- Give yourself a decent time to rest after surgery; this will let your body give the best energy for your healing.
Follow your surgeon’s instructions carefully, as you already know recovery time and procedure success depends upon your ability to follow the orders. You should not miss an arranged appointment with your surgeon, since he will help you check on your healing progress.
How long does swelling go down after eyebrow lift?
Your surgeon will make small incisions along the hairline to correct the position of the eyebrows, tighten the forehead, lift the upper eyelids, and reduce frown lines. The procedure takes two to three hours under light general anesthesia, allowing you to go home the same day.
An eyebrow lift is one of the most convenient and least invasive cosmetic treatments. The healing process is gradual. Therefore, you may need to wait several weeks to notice the results of the eyebrow lift procedure. One day after the eyebrow lift surgery, you will be asked to put on a head support bandage, which will be replaced the next day with a head-tightening cap.
In addition, you will experience some puffiness around the eyes. One week after eyebrow lift operation, the sutures will be removed and patients can return to work shortly. It usually takes about two weeks to heal from swelling; some patients experience some pain within the first two days after the surgery.
After the eyebrow lift operation, the swelling is completely normal, as are the bruises. In the first few days after an eyebrow lift, there will be dark blue and purple bruises around your forehead and eyes. Within five to six days after an eyebrow lift, the bruising should have faded to yellow or even green. However, the bruises should heal completely within two weeks. Like any other surgery, bruising and swelling will be at their worst levels in the first few days after the procedure. Within a week, the swelling should begin to reduce considerably, with the majority of bruising healing within six weeks. Any remaining swelling will heal in the months following your eyebrow lift surgery.