Hair loss can be caused by genetic factors, but it can also be caused by aging, traumatic injuries, or a variety of medical conditions.
Hair transplantation can be performed successfully on anyone who has a sufficient number of hair follicles, regardless of the cause of hair loss. The transplantation method is effective not only on the scalp, but also on other parts of the body such as the brows, moustache, and beard.
And in general, most hair transplant procedures involve the same primary steps, which we will explain below, but still as any surgical procedure that will often be carried to fit each individual.
What is a Hair Transplant?
In short, Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure that involves removing hair follicles from one part of the body, known as the ‘donor site,’ and transplanting them to a bald or balding part of the body, known as the recipient site.’ The procedure is mostly used to treat male pattern baldness. Patients who undergo hair transplantation regain their own hair permanently, as if they had never lost it.
Hair Transplant Techniques
FUE Hair Transplant Procedure
- The first step of FUE hair transplant is local anesthesia
Apart from conventional needles that cause a lot of pain, the latest methods and techniques in the anesthesia world are used in the FUE technique A device that injects anesthesia into the scalp without feeling pain
- The second step is the graft extraction. It is performed by a micro-motor, a device made of titanium metal. Works to pull the follicles from the angle of inclination naturally and stored in the device called ice grafts
- After extracting the follicles, the follicles are placed in a liquid called Ice Graft
This fluid maintains the follicle, nourishes it, and protects it from external factors
- After placing the follicles in Ice Graft liquid, the doctor will move to the stage of opening the channels.
The channels are opened with a tool similar to scissors to a large extent, and the channels are opened in the head from the top in order to place the follicles.
- And in the final step the follicles previously placed in Ice Graft liquid are taken and placed in the place of the channels that were opened and implanted.
FUT Hair Transplant Procedure
- In the FUT procedure, the surgeon will remove a strip of skin from your scalp, generally from the back of your head, during FUT. The surgeon will decide the strip’s exact size based on the number of follicles that will use to cover bald area, and the width of the strip is between 1 and 1.5 cm (0.4 and 0.6 inches) on average. After strips are taken off, the follicles are re-inserted to the scalp.
- The donor area will be trimmed to about two millimeters.
- The strip of skin with the hair follicles that will be utilized as a graft will be taken off by the surgeon. During the procedure, you will remain awake. Individual hair follicles will be removed from the strip and prepared for transplantation by a professional.
- The surgeon will close your scalp with sutures.
- The hair follicles will then be inserted into the balding parts of your scalp in a pattern that looks natural. And an antibiotic and bandages will be applied to your scalp.
DHI Hair Transplant Procedure
- Just like the other techniques, the DHI hair transplant will be start with the local anesthesia, after applying the local anesthesia, the donor area would be shaven off by a normal shaving machine
- The second step would be the follicles will be extracted from the back area using the modern Micromotor Device, which does not affect the neighboring follicles.
- After the extraction, the extracted follicles will be placed in a saline liquid called Icy Graft to preserve and nourish the follicles until they are transplanted in the front and central region.
- After that, the doctor will start opening new channels in the balding area and transplanting the follicles using the DHI technique (Choi pens), which gives about 120 grafts per 1 square centimeter. This technique is considered one of the latest technologies in the field of hair transplantation. The DHI technique consists of Choi pens, these pens open the channels and implant the follicles at the same time, which provides greater density and does not cause any damage to the old follicles. (No need to shave the hair from the top)
- The process will last from 5 to 6 hours. The patient will have a break every two hours.. After the surgery, you will be given the necessary medications and instructions to follow. And The donor area would be bandaged after the operation.
And To know more about other different hair transplant techniques and procedures such as organic hair transplant, or stem cell transplantation, you can contact us and we will be more than happy to walk you through the steps and details of the procedure involved.
How Does A Hair Transplant Work?
Hair transplant procedure is all about removing the hair follicles from one part of the body, called the ‘donor site,’ to a bald or balding part of the body known as the ‘recipient site’.
The surgical procedure in which hair follicles are transplanted from one part of the head to another part where the hair is thinning or receding will involve different hair transplant techniques which are used to obtain follicles for transplantation:
for example, an FUE hair transplant procedure will involve the following steps:
- Preparing for the hair transplant
In the first step of Hair Transplant Surgery, the Hair follicles from the back of the head are removed to be transplanted to the balding areas.
The amount of coverage you’ll need is partly determined by your hair’s color and texture. Hair that is coarse, gray, or light-colored provides more coverage than fine, dark-colored hair. The number of large plugs implanted in the first session varies depending on the patient.
- Shaving Donor Area
The “donor area” will be trimmed short just before surgery to access and remove the grafts easily. The surgeon then uses microscopes to view the donor area to dissect and prepare follicular unit hair grafts.
- Extracting hair Follicles
Local anesthesia is used after the hair in the donor area has been trimmed. And Your doctor will use a special tube-like instrument made of sharp carbon steel to punch the round graft out of the donor site and replace it in the area to be covered for punch grafts.
To maintain proper skin strength after grafts, your doctor may inject small amounts of saline solution into the scalp on a regular basis.
- Transplant hair to ‘recipient site’.
The targeted transplantation area is anesthetized, and canals in which hair follicles will be placed are opened with the help of special grooving chisels.
The grafts are spaced about one-eighth of an inch apart to maintain healthy scalp circulation. Additional grafts will be used to fill in the gaps between the plugs in subsequent sessions.
When removing and placing grafts, your doctor will take great care to ensure that the transplanted hair grows in a natural direction and that hair growth at the donor site is not harmed.
Following the grafting session, your scalp will be cleansed and covered with gauze. You may need to wear a pressure bandage for a day or two. Some doctors don’t use bandages on their patients to help them heal.
In most cases, however, a special bandage is applied to the patient’s head section, and they are discharged within a few hours. And in general, A hair transplant procedure can take up to four hours or more. Also Although pain is uncommon, pain relievers are used to manage it. After a three-day home rest, the patient can usually return to work while keeping his or her head covered.
After a hair transplant, what happens next?
Following hair transplant surgery, your scalp may be sore, and you may need to take medications such as:
- pain relievers
- Antibiotics can help you avoid becoming infected.
- anti-inflammatories to keep the swelling at bay
- After surgery, most people are able to return to work within a few days.
- The transplanted hair is expected to fall out two to three weeks after the procedure. This allows for the growth of new hair. 8 to 12 months after surgery, most people will notice some new hair growth.
And To know more about other different hair transplant techniques and procedure such as DHI, organic hair transplant or stem cell transplantation , you can contact us and we will be more than happy to walk you through the procedures steps and details involved.